Hush, Hush - Becca Fitzpatrick Most captivating, "Oh my God, I have to read this right now and finish it right now and who really needs to go to work, anyway, when there are fallen freakin' angels I could be devouring?" read since bloody Twilight. (And, frankly, Hush, Hush has gone a long way to soothing my feathers that were ruffled - nay, completely plucked and set aflame - by the base insult that was the worthless Breaking Dawn. But enough of that bitterness.) Hush, Hush is escapist fantasy at its finest, constantly moving with action and (bless Ms. Fitzpatrick's heart) refreshingly light on the the emo whining that usually is passed off badly as "introspection." It sucks you in from the very beginning, doesn't get bogged down with its own mythology or world-building, and in the end does exactly what a good book is supposed to do. It tells a story that takes a vice grip on your mind, presents the reader with memorable characters (though, judging from other reviews, this does not mean the reader necessarily likes said characters), entertains the reader throughout, and leaves one satisfied when the last page is turned.

Which is good, considering the price is a wee bit steep for a young adult/teen novel.

I'm not a literary elitist, but I don't spend a lot of time reading the young adult or teen genres. (Even as a young adult or teen, I never spent a lot of time in that section of the bookstore.) Maybe I need to hold books shelved as "young adult/teen" to a higher standard, but what would be the point? I'm not looking for classic literature if I'm reading this; I'm looking for entertainment. I admit, Hush, Hush has its flaws, most of which are technical: so-so writing, some cliche "coincidences" as plot devices, a couple gaping plot holes, and a predictable plot for the adult reader. But even in adult literature, my number one sin is for a book to be boring, followed closely by being forgettable. This book? Is neither. It's captivating, it's entertaining, and yes, there's even a couple scenes where Patch, our bad boy fallen angel, gets the rise out of me he was created for in the first place. ("Your jacket." "...You want my jacket?" "I want it off.") (Me, who's really too old to react like a fangirl: "!!!" -swoons-)

Which, conveniently enough, brings me to Patch himself. Several reviews have made the comparison to Edward Cullen, and several others have pointed out that the manipulative, stalkerish, and more overtly sexual behavior Patch exhibits towards Nora is unacceptable and a major reason they disliked the book. It's actually one of the reasons I enjoyed Patch more than Edward Cullen. Edward's manipulative and stalker-like behavior was wrapped up in this 19th century romance shroud that firmly and unrealistically downplayed the physical lust. Too candy coated, too sickly sweet and purposely misleading. I like boys who make their intentions clear, and bad boys usually do. Patch? Well...Patch is honest. He wants to fuck her. He also kinda loves her, but...he really wants to fuck her. And I? Can totally respect that. (Even if, yeah, the manipulative stalker thing really oughta be toned down. I don't care if you're a vampire, a werewolf, or a fallen angel with a knack for pool. Not cool, guys.)

My inner fourteen-year-old fangirl is totally on Team Patch. I am not ashamed.

And because I found it so engrossing that I read it in one sitting after work, it gets four stars. Because there was not a single moment when I considered wandering off to do something else, even for a second.

So, lots of rambling, all to get to a couple main points.

1) Love Hush, Hush for what it is. (And it's not classic lit, okay?) It's damned enjoyable, so indulge that squealing teenage girl you used to be.

2) READ IT.

...So, when does the sequel come out?