Wuthering Heights - Emily Brontë, Daphne Merkin Nope, I can't do it. Within a few pages, I remembered with an unpleasant start exactly why I have picked up, started, and tossed aside this book a half dozen times since I was a wee lass. I know it's a classic, I realize that curling my lip with disgust every time I see the cover probably makes me a literary heathen, but I'll be damned if I'm going to waste precious reading time slogging through a book where the writing is rough (to say the least), the characters are thoroughly unlikeable (even for me, someone who revels in the antihero), and the structure is such that you're being told more than you're actually witnessing, thus making me long for a nice, succinct summary that doesn't ramble about for 300+ pages.

On the bright side, I very much appreciated Bronte's subtle humor. I believe she was quite snarky in this, although some of that may spring from my interpretation due to personal bitterness.

Clearly, I have an aversion to the Bronte sisters. I never made it through Jane Eyre, either.