A History of the World in 6 Glasses - Tom Standage The subject of this book read like a regular Friday or Saturday for me. Start out with a glass of good red wine or a pint of English hard cider (not much of a beer drinker, so that's my substitute), before moving on to the rum/vodka/whiskey, whatever the drink of choice is for the rest of the evening. In the morning, recover via cups of coffee and tea, then finish the process with a soda as my brain kicks back into gear and I wander back home.

Who knew my friends and I were simply mirroring the progression of history?

A significant portion of my social life revolves around the pub, so Standage's choice of topic appealed to me on both the intellectual and "Ooo! Booze!" levels. Good thing, too, because if I was going into this with only my intellectual brain turned on, I likely would have been disappointed. A History of the World in 6 Glasses is pretty light, occasionally flimsy on the historical connections and utilizing a few glaring leaps of logic.

On the other hand, ...6 Glasses is fun and easy, interesting enough to be engrossing. A lot of effort isn't required to get to the end, and the presentation of how these beverages traveled around the world is interesting enough to support reading, this is where the true historical study comes into play. The premise is intriguing, even if the influence of these drinks is overstated.

In short, it's fun but not particularly deep, Standage glosses over a lot but the book is enjoyable nonetheless. Recommended, especially if you kick back with your drink of choice while reading.