Sexual Fluidity: Understanding Women's Love and Desire - Lisa Diamond Diamond theory is definitely moving in the right direction. Unfortunately, her presentation of that theory sucks.

When presenting a lesser known theory that's just beginning to gain traction, presentation is key. This is not a new theory, despite what the author implies; I've encountered the fluid sexuality idea several times in other reading, although never in such detail. Diamond is moving it forward, not nearly as much as she seems to think she is in the book, but she's got a fairly solid start. I don't mind that this is a heavy, academic read; considering the analysis, that style fits the subject.

What doesn't fit are the opinions of the author, conjecture that takes large leaps away from the given evidence. I read studies like this in order to gain enough information to develop my own opinion; I don't care about or want the writer's. There's a fairly clear bias throughout Sexual Fluidity which made me uneasy: her own long term study has shaky elements, and when citing the work of other psychologists, she has a tendency to present only the details for the side supporting her theory, with very little mention made of other findings. At times it felt as if Diamond was pulling a slight of hand trick.

Beyond that she undermines a great theory with tedious, repetitive writing that circles back on itself like a snake eating its own tail. An awful lot of the material felt like it was padding for the book, reworded and represented as a new point in her repertoire. Fail.

I found all the issues with Sexual Fluidity very frustrating because, as I said before, I think Diamond is moving the study of sexuality in the right direction. There's definitely something going on within this theory, a core somewhere that just has to be covered. This could have been a fantastic introduction, it could have been so good, and maybe that's why I'm so disappointed with it.