girls: A Paean - Nic Kelman Judging by some of the other reviews, I may be the only woman who actually enjoyed girls. Yes, at times it was uncomfortable and disturbing to read, which was likely exactly the reaction Kelman wanted when he wrote of such politically incorrect subjects, taboos, and extremes. Any book that earns such a visceral reaction gets major points with me.

Going beyond the examples of extreme male thought and behavior, girls presents a range of subtler scenes, less likely to outright offend the female audience, more likely to resonate with the vast majority of male readers, pages dealing with marriage, fatherhood, relationships, power struggles at home and in the office, pride, money, gender roles, male/female equality, etc. And sex. Girls and sex, of course. There's a lot of that. Things could have gotten heavy (and, thus, boring), but Kelman's writing style is light and refreshing. Quick, straight to the point, and simple without feeling moronic. But above all else, Kelman is unabashedly unapologetic. It's there, in your face, with no justifications, no excuses, and absolutely no attempt at moralizing his subject matter. He doesn't try to make it more palatable to the female sex, and that is ballsy, impressive.

This honesty without apology, even when he deals with extremes, may be what repulses so many female readers. Because let's be honest: there's something distinctly uncomfortable about having to admit that maybe, just maybe, Kelman is occasionally right.

An excellent, engaging read, quick and fresh and smart. I wouldn't recommend reading it at the office or while in the same room as your grandma, but I highly suggest reading girls at some point. Well worth the effort.